TWW Blog

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blog. Putting the wackiness back in Wrong Way. Let the hijinks ensue...

Monday, June 12, 2006

Ten Observations from Mt. Diablo


1) There are no easy routes via the dirt to the summit - well, almost to the summit

2) Sunscreen works (you find this out when you don't wear it)

3) Regardless of how nice you are, some hikers will always dislike you because you're on a bike

3a) See #3 above but insert "equestrians" in place of "hikers"

4) Hikers and cyclists can get along, really (I had several nice conversations with hikers)

5) There are some steep a$$ trails on Mt. Diablo (Burma, Mother's)

6) Most of the wildflowers are gone at this point

7) Water is still running very cold though down in the lower creeks

8) It could be 50 degrees out but the trail up Wall Pt. will always be hot and you'll be baking in the sun

8a) Same with wind - it could be blowing 30mph but you won't feel any wind on Wall Pt.

9) Carry either a rattlesnake kit or cell phone with you (didn't need either, but man the conditions were ripe)

10) Mt. Diablo is a true jewel that most take for granted

3 Comments:

  • At 6/12/2006, Blogger L. Christmas said…

    you couldn't have picked better weather that day either!

     
  • At 6/13/2006, Blogger X Bunny said…

    i noticed you didn't insert "equestrians" in #4

    rattlesnake kit fairly useless
    go with the cellphone

    never been there--some crazy roadies are doing a hillclimb up it--i hope i have the good sense not to do that

     
  • At 6/13/2006, Blogger ginmtb said…

    I know they can get along, however, I only ran into one equestrian and we didn't stop and talk (since he had the death look on his face).

    The one hiking group that I had an issue with that I ran into (not literally) was on the BIKE LEGAL singletrack at Devil's Elbow. I approached them. Fully stopped. Then one turned around about 5 seconds later. She said, "bike" and then one guy said, "What are you doing on this trail?!!!!!!!" I responded by saying that this trail was open to bikes. What a jerk. Also gave me the death look as I walked by with my bike.

    I did not startle them, I did not mow them down. I was nice. I apologized for interrupting their hike. And what do I get? Squat. How about sorry for interrupting my ride? Whatever.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home