TWW Blog

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blog. Putting the wackiness back in Wrong Way. Let the hijinks ensue...

Monday, February 05, 2007

Givin' up MTB'ing for...


So I went riding quads with a friend on Saturday at Hollister SVRA. I have to admit, it was a LOT OF FUN. Let's see, no lung/quad busting climbs, swoopy trail riding, sliding around turns, climbing steep a$$ hills with little effort, and high speeds. All on the dirt. The draw is strong... I actually felt guilty afterwards - normally after three hours of riding a MTB, I'm pretty worked. Not so with the quad.

Strange though - definitely a different culture out there. And as my friend said, "You'll see a lot of overweight people out here." And it is so noisy everywhere you ride. I swear I kept hearing someone riding right on my a$$ - but everytime I looked back there was no one. Turns out is was my tires making all that noise.

It was definitely different picking lines - normally you see one line, and go for it. Not so easy with a quad since you had the two tires in the front. You needed to find two good lines to get through tough sections. There were areas that I wish I was on my MTB because I could've gotten through much easier and faster. I think a motorcycle would be an easier transition. And what's up with the 5psi pressure in the tires? What a crack up.

The guys I rode with said I was a natural. I was able to keep up pretty good with them, and I was on a 250 semi-entry level quad. They all were on 450's. The last time I rode a quad was at least 20 years ago. I nearly killed myself then when I flipped it over on me. The impact was so hard that I crushed an aerosol can of flat repair between me and the pavement (it was in a fanny pack). Next time I'm trying one of the big bad quads.

But there is no way I can ever leave the MTB... so much more pure.

3 Comments:

  • At 2/06/2007, Blogger Sweet Cheeks said…

    Oh Mikey, I like the BIG quads!

     
  • At 2/12/2007, Blogger xcslowpoke said…

    Great give it up for the biggest singletrack killer in the world. Die ATV, Die!

    Next thing your going to say is, "Dude, tricycles are way old school. Get rid of that SS and get on a Tri."

     
  • At 2/14/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    like we need another Quadtard at Hollister

     

Post a Comment

<< Home