TWW Blog

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blog. Putting the wackiness back in Wrong Way. Let the hijinks ensue...

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Mullets and Cyclocross


Sorry Gin, but I'm gonna open up a can o'whoopass on your "Remember When". How long have I been racing? A damned long time! I believe this photo was taken at a Surf City cyclocross in either '87 or '88. OK, let's start at the top:
1. I'm sure the helmet will look familiar to Mike G. only mine is in spiffy Hi-Vis yellow.
2. I get a pass on the haircut..remember, it was 1980'something.
3. T-shirt is an official Santa Cruz Sentinal triathlon shirt, thus outing me as a former tri-geek. (note the dirt smudge from the digger I took on the first lap)
4. Shorts say Miyata on them although I didn't own a Miyata, they just happened to be the only ones the LBS had on sale that would fit me.
5. Forget the computer, a sports watch was all I needed then. Besides, computers were for ROADIES!
6. Gloves: standard issue cotton gardening gloves from OSH.
7. That thing between my legs in an '87 Diamond Back Ascent. No V brakes and no suspension for those nut-rattling descents.
8. Shoes are Reebok running shoes, a staple in every cool dude's wardrobe at the time.

Top that people!!

8 Comments:

  • At 1/07/2006, Blogger ginmtb said…

    Dude, you got me beat - my first race was the Sizzler in '92. I raced in the Sport class thinking, "I'm no Beginnner! Wow, was that a big ol' piece of humble pie. I think I finished like 210 out of 220. Y'all remember that Sizzler course and all the climbing, right? Sport was two laps. Two words - ug ly.

     
  • At 1/07/2006, Blogger ginmtb said…

    Is that handlebar matching green?

     
  • At 1/08/2006, Blogger L. Christmas said…

    diamond back ascent: my 1st mt. bike too.

    Sizzler Classic: my 1st mt. bike race too! (remember... about 200 feet of single track on the whole course!)

     
  • At 1/08/2006, Blogger bikenband said…

    The handlebar is chrome and "flat". I uprgaded from the original matching blue riser bar that came on the bike. Funny, now switching from a flat bar to a riser is considered an upgrade, reinforcing the notion that everything comes back around. Bar ends weren't even invented yet.
    Sizzler Classic was my first mountain bike race as well and since I'd been racing BMX since I was 12 or so, I did the same thing as Gin: (I raced in the Sport class thinking, "I'm no Beginnner!)

     
  • At 1/08/2006, Blogger ginmtb said…

    Hey remember the handlebars that had the stem built into them? They were welded together so that the stem was actually a "V". Dude, those things were kind.

     
  • At 1/08/2006, Blogger bikenband said…

    Those were called "bullmoose" bars.
    Anyone who had those on their bike has all of us beat!

     
  • At 1/08/2006, Blogger ginmtb said…

    You can have them now!

    Bullmoose bars on eBay

     
  • At 1/09/2006, Blogger maleonardphi said…

    Like you said, everything comes back around http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=product&taxid=41&pid=216

    I wish I could remember which kind of diamond back I had for my first mountain bike. It was a hand-me-down from my brother who probably got it in 88 or so. I rode the crap out of that thing in junior high, until my brother took it back when he went to college and it got stolen.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home