TWW Blog

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blog. Putting the wackiness back in Wrong Way. Let the hijinks ensue...

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Thank goodness!!!


You know we like to have the verbal warfare with the Roaring Meeces. But they're our good friends, and all is in good fun. A really close call with former TWWer/now Roaring Meecer Julie Barott happened just recently. We wish her a speedy recovery. Get well soon Julie! Man, that is some scary she-ite.

Here's Paule's account of the incident:

All,
Last night on our commute home, Julie was struck from behind by a car. She's doing ok and will recover fully. She had just finished an interval and was about 30' in front of me and cruising in the bike lane at about 18-20 mph. A driver in a lexus drove into the bike lane and hit her directly. I looked up in time to see the impact and Julie flying through the air. To date, this is the most horrific thing I've ever seen and continues to loop in my mind.

The driver appeared to be braking at the time of impact and had no reason for his actions. I believe he was telling the police that he tried to swerve but went the wrong way. He was remorseful and in shock. Good reaction, as I would have killed him on the spot.

When I got to Julie I though she was dead. No movement, just laying there like a rag doll, her Timbuktu bag still securely attached. I can't describe the feeling. It's not really happening, I know I was screaming, calling 911, begging Julie to talk to me, yelling at being on hold with 911, my battery on my cell going dead, seeing Julie start to move, screaming at the driver "what the fuck were you doing". I remember holding her and telling her to wake up, stay with me, don't leave me. It seemed life someone else's life at that moment. She was probably out for 15-30 seconds. Hard to say, that whole time thing is tough on adrenaline. I think her first questions were where am I, what happened, was it my fault. I'm having a very hard time even now writing this as all the emotion from the moment keeps coming up. This is the love of my life and she's laying in a fucking ditch. You don't know how precious someone is until you think they have been torn from you. I'm a very grateful person right now.

Julie has a deep bruise on her right hip and her left knee is very sore. Her helmet saved her life! Wear your damn helmets. It's broken and compressed in 5 or 6 places. She asked the same wonderful questions for about an hour. I didn't care what she asked, she was asking. She knew who I was and that was about all. Nothing broken, her right hip took most of the impact from either the car or hitting the ground. I'm not sure, shit happens real fast but slow at the same time. We came home last night about 1:00 a.m. The cops and the paramedics were great at the scene and the people in SF General ER were fantastic.

Thankfully, Julie doesn't remember doodley squat about the accident. Only finishing the interval and then being put into the ambulance. Her bike is trashed from what I can remember. We were doing intervals in the business park and Robert Mau, a guy that I know from cross racing was doing the same. He stopped at the scene on his way home and told me he would come back to get our bikes. I've got a message from him last night.

Julie is determined to attend Interbike tomorrow. I'll gladly push her around in a wheel chair, in fact I'll gratefully be pushing her around in a wheelchair. Sorry, this is so emotional. I know it's cliched, but tell whoever it is that you love them and put the petty shit aside. At any given moment, you may not have that incredible luxury and you'll want it back.

Did I mention just how grateful I am right now. Life is going to be good.

paule

7 Comments:

  • At 9/29/2006, Blogger maleonardphi said…

    Phew! I'm so glad to hear you're okay Julie. Hope you're having a good time at interbike.

     
  • At 9/29/2006, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said…

    holy crap.

    well ... here's one person wishing Julie and Paule the best. Don't know you, but damn glad to hear that it came out like it did.

    crazy.

     
  • At 9/30/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Team Wickity Wack:

    Just wanted to say a huge thanks for the cookies today. They were delivered to the shop, and there were actually some left when we got there. Just kidding, they were beautiful and such a nice thing to do. Despite what everyone says about you guys, I know what a class act you are.

    It's an amazing tight little community we have. Today at the DFL cross race, many people that I don't even know came up to me to wish me and Paule well. Apparently John Funke had posted my plight on the NCNCA website. It was very touching to feel so much concern from so many people.

    I'm hanging. Still got a long way to go with the healing, especially my noggin, but I'm determined to be racing by mid-October. Saw my bike today and started to cry. I don't remember anything, and the reality of it was inescapable, looking at the mangled back tire and twisted frame.

    Interbike's a cool place in an old lady zippy chair. They have a really tight turning radius and are apparently untippable...believe me I gave it my best. Plus you get through security in lightening speed when you're on crutches.

    Anyway, thanks to all of you guys and gals who have sent us your well wishes and the cookies were damn good too.

    Signed,

    Julie the banged up Mouse

    P.S.: Thanks for your well wishes Olaf. I don't know you but very much enjoy your blog.

    P.S.S.: Gin, you're a good man, despite what the other TWWs say about ya :)

     
  • At 10/02/2006, Blogger X Bunny said…

    the whole thing just sends shivers up my spine

    glad you are on the mend

     
  • At 10/10/2006, Blogger xcslowpoke said…

    Glad to hear that your on the mend Julie. Well wishes from Beantown. I read Paule email but didn't know your email address to respond.

     
  • At 10/10/2006, Blogger MoJito said…

    wait, what i want to know is what this has to do with Madonna?

     
  • At 10/10/2006, Blogger ginmtb said…

    Lucky Star...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home